Featured Post

When You've Reached Your Limit

I was listening to the radio station KLOVE today as I was driving and heard a Christian singer talk about a time in his life when he was de...

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Week of March 6-10: Throwback Thursday-Fresh Manna



Back when the Israelites were walking in the desert with Moses, they had to depend upon God solely. They would look to Moses for everything. Then Moses would seek God on their behalf and wait for an answer. The problem we saw over and over was the Israelites complaining about everything, even when their requests were answered in their favor. They complained about their food. So God gave them food in the form of fresh manna every morning. Even though they were told to only collect each morning and to only eat that day's portion because what was left over would rot--they would hoard it anyway. And then find maggots and rot for themselves until they finally listened to the instructions they were told by God. Then God gave them instruction regarding the Sabbath. You shall gather twice the amount the day before the Sabbath because no manna will be given and collected on the Sabbath. Again, the Israelites refused to listen to instruction and went out on the Sabbath to collect manna only to find there wasn't any. The Sabbath was for rest, including collecting for food.

When I read that part of the Bible, it is difficult to not get irritated at the Israelites for complaining so much, not listening, and saying they had been better off in Egypt where they had been slaves. What?! Their behavior caused them to be led in the desert for 40 years and then another 40 years after that!
Do we listen to God's instruction or resist it? It all comes down to obedience. God loves it when we obey Him.

Here is what God told Abraham:
"This is what the Lord says: Because you have obeyed me and have not withheld even your beloved son, I swear by my own self that I will bless you richly. I will multiply your descendants into countless millions, like the stars of the sky and the sand on the seashore. They will conquer their enemies, and through your descendants, all the nations of the earth will be blessed--all because you have obeyed me." (Genesis 22:16-18 NLT)

And in Jeremiah 7:23, NLT, "Obey me, and I will be your God, and you will be my people. Only do as I say and all will be well."

Our obedience says so much to God. It says 'yes' to trust, 'yes' to faith, 'yes' to love. It says 'no' to pride and 'no' to selfishness. Do you obey right away or do you wait awhile to make sure it's God talking or that He will change His mind? Hey, I'm right there with you. I don't always obey right away like I should. But God works it into us as we grow in Him. Our desires will change and our wants will change because God will change the focus of our wants and desires to line up with what He's doing and His will.

Our fresh manna is a new day spent with the Lord to obey, love, and trust Him. Over time, we may not see ourselves becoming more Christlike, but I bet the people who really know you, have spent a great deal of time around you can see the difference. It's up to us to make the move. What do we do with that fresh manna we receive everyday?