Featured Post

When You've Reached Your Limit

I was listening to the radio station KLOVE today as I was driving and heard a Christian singer talk about a time in his life when he was de...

Friday, March 3, 2017

Week of February 27-March 3: Forward Friday-How Do You Define Yourself?


What are the things that you would consider to define yourself? Married or single? A nurse, or teacher, or  IT tech? Your age bracket maybe? So, if you have mental health issues, how do you see yourself when it come to that? Does it define who you are or is just a small part of who you are?

You might turn that question back on me and ask me the same thing. Here is how I would define myself:

I am a Christian woman, age 49, married and mother of a teenage daughter. I am a stay-at-home mom or housewife which ever way you want to say it. Family time is a huge part of my life and doing whatever comes up. Art is something I really enjoy and am currently resurrecting my artistic talents from about 30 years ago with a love for watercolor painting and drawing. I also have a penchant for sewing.

Now, you may think I purposely left out my own struggles with depression just to make a point. I didn't because I honestly don't use that as a defining part of myself. It was a struggle and difficult part of my life and God has used it for good. If I used that as a definer of myself, it would put me in a box I don't believe me or anyone is supposed to be in. God doesn't look at me and see that blinking back at Him like a neon sign. I'm not defined by it, but I have no problem talking with anyone about it if it helps someone else. I own it, but it doesn't own me. Can you see the difference? You and I are more than a mental illness. That is how God sees you and I. And He sees you with a deep passionate love, a jealous love.

As you look forward to the days ahead, ask God to show you how He sees you. It will change your perspective of yourself and others because He loves them the same way.