Featured Post

When You've Reached Your Limit

I was listening to the radio station KLOVE today as I was driving and heard a Christian singer talk about a time in his life when he was de...

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Week of February 20-24: Throwback Thursday-God's Refuge


I have not been a Christian most of my life--only about half--or it will be half by the end of this year :-). When I met the Lord, I had just come out of a sinful relationship and was devastated. It was 1992 when I found a church with my mother and sister. My mother had gotten saved in May of that year. I saw changes in my mother and sister that I wanted for myself. That was in November of 1992. I knew the basic story of the gospel of Jesus. My grandfather had been a pastor and I know my grandparents prayed for my sister and I. So, in January of 1993, I gave my heart to the Lord. I was 25 years old.

Many times, I would wind up in the church bathroom in tears in the beginning of my journey still trying to get over the relationship I had come out of--hoping the guy I broke up with would become a Christian so we could get married. Thank you Jesus that never happened (and was wrong thinking anyway). But while I was in such turmoil, I came across my first set of scriptures that became my favorite when I was scared, felt uncertain, needed God's love closer to my heart. It is still one of my favorites:

Psalm 91

"He who dwells in the 
shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of
the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord,
'He is my refuge and 
my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.'

Surely, he will save you
from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly
pestilence.
He will cover you with his
feathers,
and under his wings you 
will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be
your shield and
rampart.
You will not fear the terror
of night,
nor the arrow that flies by
day,
nor the pestilence that 
stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that
destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with
your eyes
and see the punishment of
the wicked.

If you make the Most High
your dwelling--
even the Lord, who is my 
refuge--
then no harm will befall
you,
no disaster will come near
your tent.
For he will command his
angels concerning you
to guard you in all your
ways;
they will lift you up in their
hands,
so that you will not strike
your foot against a
stone.
You will tread upon the lion
and the cobra;
you will trample the great
lion and the serpent.

'Because he loves me,'
says the Lord, 'I will
rescue him;
I will protect him, for he
acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I
will answer him;
I will be with him in
trouble,
I will deliver him and
honor him.
With long life will I satisfy
him
and show my my
salvation.'"